What is a COVIDIOT? Can sounds give you brain tingles? What is a man looking for younger girls called? What is an "Unexplained Drinking Injury (UDI)"? What does QQ mean? P911 means parents are watching! Why does <4 mean "more than love"? What does DIAMOND HANDS mean? Send an encrypted message. Learn all the Snapchat emojis.
Search our site
What Does WHITESPLAIN Mean?WHITESPLAIN means "A White Person Condescendingly Explaining Racial Issues to a Member of an Ethnic Minority."
The term WHITESPLAIN is widely used on social media and in the mainstream press to describe a white person condescendingly, unnecessarily and often incorrectly, explaining racial issues to member of an ethnic community.
WHITESPLAIN is a combination of the words "White" and "Explain." It was inspired by the term Mansplain, which has also given rise to an ever-growing list of similar terms, including:
- Gaysplain - A gay person condescendingly explaining gay issues.
- Grammarsplain - A grammar enthusiast condescendingly explaining the intricacies of grammar (especially to a language teacher).
- Journosplain - A journalist condescendingly explaining a complicated issue to a subject matter expert (e.g., a scientist).
- Queersplain - A queer person condescendingly explaining queer issues.
"Cyber Speak" TestYou now know what WHITESPLAIN means, but are you good at Cyber Speak? Well, let's see!
- This test has questions.
- You will score at least 5 points for a correct answer.
- You will score bonus points for answering the questions quickly.
- Be careful though. Wrong answers score 0 points.
- The maximum score is .
Summary of Key Points"A White Person Condescendingly Explaining Racial Issues to a Member of an Ethnic Minority" is the most common definition for WHITESPLAIN on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
|Definition:||A White Person Condescendingly Explaining Racial Issues to a Member of an Ethnic Minority|
2: Quite easy to guess
Adults and Teenagers
An Academic Look at WHITESPLAINAs it is formed by merging two words into one, WHITESPLAIN is a portmanteau word. It is a combination of the words White and Explain.
WHITESPLAIN is also a neologism (i.e., a newly coined word or term which has emerged into everyday usage). Some neologisms are formally accepted into mainstream language (at which point, they cease to be neologisms), and some wither until they can longer be considered everyday terms. A neologism can be:
- A completely new word (e.g., oversharers).
- A new combination of existing words (e.g., digital detox).
- A new meaning for an existing word (e.g., sick).
Example of WHITESPLAIN Used in a Text
Help Us To Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?