What is a COVIDIOT? Can sounds give you brain tingles? What is a man looking for younger girls called? What is an "Unexplained Drinking Injury (UDI)"? What does QQ mean? P911 means parents are watching! Why does <4 mean "more than love"? What does DIAMOND HANDS mean? Send an encrypted message. Learn all the Snapchat emojis.
Search our site
What Does JOURNOSPLAIN Mean?JOURNOSPLAIN means "A Journalist Condescendingly Explaining a Complicated Issue to a Subject Matter Expert."
The term JOURNOSPLAIN is widely used on social media, especially on Twitter, to describe a journalist condescendingly, unnecessarily and often incorrectly, explaining something to an expert on the matter being discussed.
JOURNOSPLAIN is a combination of the words "Journalist" and "Explain." It was inspired by the term Mansplain, which has also given rise to an ever-growing list of similar terms, including:
- Fitsplain - A gym or fitness class member condescendingly explaining fitness training.
- Gaysplain - A gay person condescendingly explaining gay issues.
- Queersplain - A queer person condescendingly explaining queer issues.
- Straightsplain - A straight person explaining LGBT issues to a gay person.
- Trumpsplain - A supporter of former president Trump defending his record.
- Whitesplain - A white person explaining racial issues to a member of an ethnic minority.
"Cyber Speak" TestYou now know what JOURNOSPLAIN means, but are you good at Cyber Speak? Well, let's see!
- This test has questions.
- You will score at least 5 points for a correct answer.
- You will score bonus points for answering the questions quickly.
- Be careful though. Wrong answers score 0 points.
- The maximum score is .
Summary of Key Points"A Journalist Condescendingly Explaining a Complicated Issue to a Subject Matter Expert" is the most common definition for JOURNOSPLAIN on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
|Definition:||A Journalist Condescendingly Explaining a complicated Issue to a Subject Matter Expert|
2: Quite easy to guess
An Academic Look at JOURNOSPLAINAs it is formed by merging two words into one, JOURNOSPLAIN is a portmanteau word. It is a combination of the words Journalist and Explain.
JOURNOSPLAIN can also be considered a neologism (i.e., a newly coined word or term which has emerged into everyday usage). Some neologisms are formally accepted into mainstream language (at which point, they cease to be neologisms), and some wither until they can longer be considered everyday terms. A neologism can be:
- A completely new word (e.g., oversharers).
- A new combination of existing words (e.g., digital detox).
- A new meaning for an existing word (e.g., sick).
Example of JOURNOSPLAIN Used in a Text
Help Us To Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?