What is a COVIDIOT? Can sounds give you brain tingles? What is a man looking for younger girls called? What is an "Unexplained Drinking Injury (UDI)"? What does QQ mean? P911 means parents are watching! Why does <4 mean "more than love"? What does DIAMOND HANDS mean? Send an encrypted message. Learn all the Snapchat emojis.
What Does ALBA Mean?ALBA means "Scotland."
ALBA is the Scottish-Gaelic name for Scotland. It first appeared in Ancient Greek and Latin texts as "Albion," which actually referred to the whole of Britain.
Over the course of time, Gaelic speakers changed Albion to Alba. They used the name to refer to the former kingdom of the Picts, a group of Celtic-speaking people who lived in eastern and northern Scotland until the 10th century CE.
ALBA is still used regularly to refer to Scotland. For example:
- The Scottish Government and Parliament also use their Gaelic names "Riaghaltas na h-Alba" and "Pàrlamaid na h-Alba" (respectively).
- The BBC's Scottish-Gaelic television channel is called BBC Alba.
- In February 2021, a new political party "The Alba Party" was launched to fight upcoming elections to the Scottish parliament on a policy of independence from the UK.
Summary of Key Points"Scotland" is the definition for ALBA in modern usage, including on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
4: Difficult to guess
Adults and Teenagers
Image for ALBAWhen I write ALBA, I mean this:
The logo of the Scottish Government includes its Gaelic title.
An Academic Look at ALBAALBA is a Gaelic word used as a proper noun. A proper noun is the name given to a specific person, place or thing (e.g., Europe, Bolivia, New York, Monday, Sam). Proper nouns are written with capital letters regardless of where they appear in a sentence.
Example of ALBA Used in a Text
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Did you know a slang term that we've missed?