What Does ALAP Mean?ALAP means "As Late As Possible", "As Long As Possible", or "As Little As Possible".
Below are the most common definitions of the abbreviation ALAP:
As Late As Possible. ALAP is typically used with the meaning "As Late As Possible" in response to a question about an expected time, usually of arrival or of the completion of an event. For example:
- When do you want to die?
- I want to die young. ALAP!
- Come on Ricky. Tell me please! How long are you going to keep me waiting?
- You are so lazy!
- That's a lie. I work hard to do ALAP!
Summary of Key Points"As Late As Possibe, As Long As Possible, or As Little As Possible" is the most common definition for ALAP on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
|Definition:||As Late As Possibe, As Long As Possible, or As Little As Possible|
4: Difficult to guess
Adults and Teenagers
Image for ALAPWhen I write ALAP, I mean this:
As Late As Possible is one of the definitions of ALAP.
Examples of ALAP in SentencesHere are examples of the abbreviation ALAP being used in conversations:
- Tony: What time are you coming in to work tomorrow?
- Jordan: ALAP. It's Danni's party tonight. (Here, ALAP means "As Late As Possible".)
- Tony: How long do you think you can keep seeing them both?
- Jordan: ALAP! (Here, ALAP means "As Long As Possible".)
- Tony: What are you going to pay Sam for lending you her car?
- Jordan: ALAP! (Here, ALAP means "As Little As Possible".)
An Academic Look at ALAPALAP is an initialism abbreviation. This means it is pronounced using its individual letters (i.e., "Ay Ell Ay Pee"). (Initialisms contrast with acronyms, which are spoken like words.)
ALAP is normally used as a standalone declarative sentence (i.e., a statement). In other words, it is not typically used as another part of speech within a wider sentence.
What Did We Use To Say?Before the digital era, we would have just said "As Late As Possible", "As Long As Possible", or "As Little As Possible" instead of using the abbreviation ALAP.
Example of ALAP Used in a Text
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Did you know a slang term that we've missed?