Meaning of SU
What Does SU Mean?SU means "Shut Up". The abbreviation SU cannot always be taken literally. In other words, it is not always used as a blunt way to tell someone to stop talking. In recent times, SU is more commonly used as an exclamation similar to OMG (Oh My God!) to express disbelief. For example:
- Janet: John asked me out on Saturday.
- Sarah: SU! (Here, SU means "No way" or "Oh My God".)
Summary of Key Points
Definition for SUSU means "Shut Up". This is the most common definition for SU on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, and Twitter. Here is some more information about SU:
2: Quite easy to guess
Adults and Teenagers
An Image for SUWhen I write SU, I mean this:
SU can be used to ask someone to be quiet, but more commonly it is used to express surprise.
Examples of SU in SentencesHere are examples of SU being used in conversations:
- Nicky: Greta has been fired.
- Ian: SU! (Here, SU is used to express surprise.)
- Lisa: You never help me. You're so lazy. I don't know why I go out with you.
- Steve: SU! (Here, SU literally means shut up, i.e., stop talking.)
An Academic Look at SUAs it is pronounced using its individual letters (i.e., "Ess Yuu"), SU is classified as an initialism abbreviation. Initialisms are different to acronyms, which are spoken like words. SU usually stands alone, as an interjection.
What Did We Used To Say?Before the digital era, we might have said something like "please be quiet" instead of SU.
A Text with SU
Using SU on a Cell Phone (SMS Texts, Whatsapp, and Yubl)