What is a COVIDIOT? Can sounds give you brain tingles? What is a man looking for younger girls called? What is an "Unexplained Drinking Injury (UDI)"? What does QQ mean? P911 means parents are watching! Why does <4 mean "more than love"? What does DIAMOND HANDS mean? Send an encrypted message. Learn all the Snapchat emojis.
What Does SYG Mean?SYG means "Shut Your Gob." SYG is an abbreviation of the British slang term "Shut Your Gob" (i.e., Shut your mouth), which means "Shut up" or "Stop talking."
Other abbreviations used to tell someone to shut up include:
Summary of Key Points"Shut Your Gob" is the most common definition for SYG on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
|Definition:||Shut Your Gob|
2: Quite easy to guess
Adults and Teenagers
Image for SYGWhen I write SYG, I mean this:
SYG - It's time to stop talking.
Examples of SYG in SentencesHere are examples of SYG being used in conversations:
- Carrie: I only passed on what I'd heard.
- Alana: You should learn to SYG and not spread gossip.
- Milly: You can't even look him in the eye.
- Daisy: Yes I can! SYG!
An Academic Look at SYGAs it is pronounced using its individual letters (i.e., "Ess Why Gee"), SYG is classified as an initialism abbreviation. Initialisms are different to acronyms, which are spoken like words.
SYG is typically used as an imperative (i.e., an order). When used to mean "mouth," the word "gob" acts as a noun. However, in British English "gob" is also often used as a verb, to mean " spit." For example:
- The ball hit him right in the gob. (Here, gob is being used as a noun and means "mouth.")
- Did you see him gob on the pavement? (Here, gob is being used as a verb and means "spit.")
What Did We Say before Texting and Social Media?Before the digital era, we might have just said "Shut Your Gob," or something like "Shut up" instead of using the abbreviation SYG.
Example of SYG Used in a Text
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Did you know a slang term that we've missed?