Meaning of BQ
What Does BQ Mean?BQ means "Be Quiet". The abbreviation BQ is used in text-based conversations to tell someone to stop communicating (i.e., to stop typing as opposed to talking). It is typically used between friends as a response to a mild criticism. For example:
- Tim: You're late again - as always.
- Claire: Oh, BQ
- Amongst marathon runners, the abbreviation BQ can also mean "Boston Qualifier", which is a finish time in a marathon fast enough to qualify for an entry into the Boston Marathon.
- In physics, BQ (written Bq) means "becquerel". A becquerel is defined as the activity of a quantity of radioactive material in which one nucleus decays per second. It is named after Henri Becquerel, who shared a Nobel Prize with Pierre and Marie Curie in 1903, for their work in discovering radioactivity.
Summary of Key Points
Definition for BQBQ means "Be Quiet". This is the most common definition for BQ on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, and Twitter. Here is some more information about BQ:
Adults and Teenagers
An Image for BQWhen I write BQ, I mean this:
Barrack Obama asking someone to BQ.
Examples of BQ in SentencesHere are examples of BQ being used in sayings:
- BQ. Maybe if we all sit still, Monday won't notice us.
- If you can't be positive, please BQ.
An Academic Look at BQBQ is an initialism abbreviation. Technically, this means it is pronounced using its individual letters (i.e., Bee Cue). However, as the abbreviation BQ is typically used for efficiency in writing and not efficiency in speech it is not often uttered using its letters.
Initialisms contrast with acronyms, which are spoken like words.
What Did We Used To Say?Before the digital era, we would have just said something like "Be Quiet" or "Shut Up" instead of using the abbreviation BQ.
A Text with BQ
Using BQ on a Cell Phone (SMS Texts, Whatsapp, and Yubl)