About Cyber DefinitionsFor the first time in human history, writing has overtaken talking as a way of communicating informally with family and friends. As a result, our writing has become far more "efficient" for the following reasons:
- You are expected to respond quickly to messages.
- You are often subjected to a harsh word restriction.
- You cannot afford to spend too much time fiddling with a 3-inch "keyboard" while trying to do something else.
Our AimsThe aims of Cyber Definitions are:
- To record new terms.
- To provide a central repository for established terms.
Our Current GuidanceHere's our current guidance about when to use texting speak:
We're Here to Help!As time goes on, we expect many of the types of correspondence in the "Never Use" category to start moving left towards "Safe to Use". And, as they do, so more people will need to know these terms.
But, don't worry. We'll be here to help!
Help Us Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?