What Does BTS Mean?BTS Means "The Bangtan Boys," "Better Than Sex," and "Be There Soon."
The most common meanings for BTS in text-based messaging and chats used to be "Better Than Sex" and "Be There Soon." However, BTS is now more often used to refer to the Korean boy band BTS ("The Bangtan Boys").
Here's more information about each of these meanings of BTS, including examples of use.
Bangtan BoysBTS is the name of a 7-member South Korean boy band, AKA the "Bangtan Boys." BTS stands for "Bang Tan Sonyeondan," which literally translates as the "Bulletproof Boy Scouts." In July 2017, as part of a revamp of their image, BTS announced they would also be known as "Beyond The Scene."
The seven members of BTS and their roles within the band are:
|Rapmon (Kim Namjoon)||Leader and lead rapper. (Writes many of the lyrics.)|
|Jin (Kim Seokjin)||Vocalist. (The oldest member of the band.)|
|Suga (Min Yoongi)||Rapper.|
|J-Hope (Jung Hoseok)||Rapper and a lead dancer.|
|Jimin (Park Jimin)||Main vocalist.|
|V (Kim Taehyung)||Vocalist.|
|Jungkook (Jeon Jungkook)||Dancer and vocalist. (Youngest band member.)|
Fans of the band are called the BTS ARMY. (According to some fans, ARMY is an acronym, meaning "Adorable Representative M.C. for Youth.")
Check out one of the band's massive hits:
BTS 'IDOL' Official MV
Better Than SexOutside of fans of the boy band, BTS usually means "Better Than Sex." In this context, BTS is used as an expression of satisfaction or contentment. Typically, BTS is preceded with a hashtag ("#BTS") and follows a statement. For example:
- Just had a veggie burger after 10 years of eating meat. #BTS
- Lockdown listened to the Stones 'Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!' album. #BTS
Be There SoonBTS is also used with the meaning "Be There Soon" (i.e., "I will arrive shortly").
Video Summarizing BTSHere's a short video explaining how to use BTS:
Image for BTS
When I write BTS, I mean this:
BTS also means "Better Than Sex" and "Be There Soon."
Summary of Key PointsThe most common definition for BTS on social media and messaging apps is "Bang Tan Sonyeondan" ("The Bangtan Boys").
|Definition:||"Bang Tan Sonyeondan" ("The Bangtan Boys")|
Adults, Teenagers, and Under 13s
Second Definition for BTS"Better Than Sex" is another common definition for BTS.
|Definition:||Better Than Sex|
Adults and Teenagers
Third Definition for BTSBTS also means "Be There Soon."
|Definition:||Be There Soon|
Adults and Teenagers
Examples of BTS in SentencesHere are examples of BTS being used in conversations:
- Jackie: Have you seen the new BTS video?
- Emma: Is it any good?
- Jackie: It's BTS! (Here, BTS means both "The Bangtan Boys" and "Better Than Sex.")
- John: I've just done a tandem skydive.
- Anna: Any good?
- John: BTS
- Anna: Everything is BTS with you! (Here, BTS means "Better Than Sex.")
- Toni: The traffic is really heavy. BTS.
- Ali: Take your time. Your dinner's in the dog. (Here, BTS mean "Be There Soon.")
An Academic Look at BTSAs it is pronounced using its individual letters (i.e., "Bee Tee Ess"), BTS is classified as an initialism abbreviation. Initialisms are different to acronyms, which are spoken like words.
Example of BTS Used in a Text
Help Us Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?
See AlsoAEGYO (cuteness or charm) BTS (Korean boy band) BTS Biot (BTS gay (slur)) CITY-POP (category of Japanese pop music) DAEBAK (awesome!) ENHYPEN (South Korean boy band) FIGHTING (go for it!) HALLYU (Korean wave) HANBOK (traditional Korean clothing) K- (Korean) TXT (text, message, Tomorrow X Together)
QuizTry our fun quiz to test your knowledge of slang and texting abbreviations.
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.