What Does I8 Mean?I8 means "All Right."
I8 is an abbreviation of "aight," which is itself an abbreviation of the phrase "all right." This term is used to mean "okay" and is frequently employed to bring a conversation to an end.
"Aight" is thought to have derived from African American Vernacular English, in which standard English phrases are often adjusted to better fit the African-American accent.
Image for I8
When I write I8, I mean this:
I8 means alright.
Summary of Key Points"All Right" is the most common definition for I8 on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
|Type:||Internet Slang Term|
4: Difficult to guess
Adults, Teenagers, and Under 13s
Examples of I8 in SentencesHere are examples of I8 being used in conversations:
- Joe: I'm going to a party tonight, but youíre working arenít you?
- Steve: Yeah. Iíll see you tomorrow. I8?
- Susannah: I canít talk, Iím at work. I'll call later.
- Sophie: Sorry. I8?
An Academic Look at I8I8 is defined as an "internet slang term" by our team because some of its characters are used as substitutes for letters. Many "slang terms" were introduced to reduce the number of key strokes required to write words, but since the arrival of predictive texting and keyboards on mobile devices this efficiency is less important.
"Internet slang terms" are still regularly used to make messages more entertaining or to express individuality. "Slang terms" differ from icons because they are not pictorial representations of words.
I8 can be used as a standalone declarative sentence (i.e., a statement). In other words, it is not always used as another part of speech within a wider sentence.
What Did We Say before Texting and Social Media?Before the digital era, we might have said something like "okay" or "all right" instead of I8.
Using Numbers in TextsThis video shows the different ways that numbers are used in "text speak":
Example of I8 Used in a Text
Help Us Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?
See AlsoAITE (all right) ALR (all right) EWBA (everything will be all right) IGHT (all right) IRIE (all right) ITSK (it's okay) KK (okay) RD (all right, real deal)
QuizTry our fun quiz to test your knowledge of slang and texting abbreviations.
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.