What is a COVIDIOT? Can sounds give you brain tingles? What is a man looking for younger girls called? What is an "Unexplained Drinking Injury (UDI)"? What does QQ mean? P911 means parents are watching! Why does <4 mean "more than love"? What does DIAMOND HANDS mean? Send an encrypted message. Learn all the Snapchat emojis.
What Does GBU Mean?GBU means "God Bless You."
The abbreviation GBU is typically used with the meaning "God Bless You" to show gratitude or when saying goodbye. For example:
- Thanks a million! I couldn't have done that without you. GBU. (Here, GBU expresses gratitude.)
- Bye. Take care. GBU. (Here, GBU is used to commend the recipient to the care of God.)
Summary of Key Points"God Bless You" is the most common definition for GBU on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
|Definition:||God Bless You|
2: Quite easy to guess
Adults and Teenagers
Image for GBUWhen I write GBU, I mean this:
GBU is typically used as an expression of gratitude, or when saying goodbye.
Examples of GBU in SentencesHere's an example of GBU being used in a joke:
- Little Boy: When I grow up, I want to be a king and have three wives. One to cook, one to sing and one to bathe me.
- Mom: And what about one to cuddle you while you sleep, son?
- Little Boy: But, won't you still sleep with me mommy?
- Mom [eyes filled with tears]: GBU son! But who will sleep with your 3 wives?
- Little Boy: They can sleep with daddy.
- Dad [eyes filled with tears]: GBU, son!
An Academic Look at GBUGBU is an initialism abbreviation. Technically, this means it is pronounced using its individual letters (i.e., Gee Bee Yoo). However, as the abbreviation GBU is typically used for efficiency in writing and not efficiency in speech, it is not often uttered using its letters.
Initialisms contrast with acronyms, which are spoken like words.
What Did We Say before Texting and Social Media?Before the digital era, we would have just said "God Bless You" instead of using the abbreviation GBU.
Example of GBU Used in a Text
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Did you know a slang term that we've missed?