What Does :'( Mean?:'( means "Crying" or "Sad". This icon is typically used after receiving sad news. When typed, the colon represents eyes, the apostrophe represents a tear, and the open-bracket represents a sad mouth. Similar icons to this icon include:
- /: (flirting)
- :$ (embarrassed)
- :& (tongue tied)
- :-* (kiss)
- :* (kiss)
- :/ (sarcasm)
- :? (confused)
- :@ (angry)
- :| (disapproval or not funny)
- :< (frowning)
- :> (mischievous smile)
- :0 (surprised)
Summary of Key Points"Crying" is the most common definition for :'( on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
|Definition:||Crying or Sad|
1: Easy to guess
Adults, Teenagers, and Under 13s
Image for :'(When I write :'(, I mean this:
This icon means "Crying".
Examples of :'( in SentencesHere are examples of :'( being used in conversations:
- Nurse: Don't be alarmed. We've removed your legs, but there's good news: that guy wants to buy your sneakers.
- Tony: :'(.
- Wife: I've bought you some Viagra to test.
- Husband: Excellent! Let's give it a go.
- Wife: It's just to stop you rolling out of bed.
- Husband: :'(.
An Academic Look at :'(:'( is classified as an icon because it is a pictorial representation.
What Did We Used To Say?Before the digital era, we might have said something like "I feel so sad" or "I am heartbroken" instead of :'(.
Example of :'( Used in a Text