What Does WBY Mean?WBY means "What 'Bout You?."
The abbreviation WBY is used with the meaning "What 'Bout You?," which most often translates as "Hello, how are you?." WBY is often used as a standalone greeting, in the same way as terms such as AITE and IGHT, which both mean "Alright?." ("What 'Bout You?" is a common greeting in Ireland.)
In the same way as WAU (What About You?), WBY can also be used to inquire about a person's view on a topic (i.e., to mean "What do you think?"). (See examples below.)
Image for WBY
When I write WBY, I mean this:
WBY means "What 'Bout You?."
Summary of Key Points"What 'Bout You?" is the most common definition for WBY on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
|Definition:||What 'Bout You?|
4: Difficult to guess
Adults and Teenagers
Examples of WBY in SentencesHere are examples of WBY being used in conversations:
- Jim: WBY?
- Joan: Fine thanks. WBY? (Here WBY is being used with the meaning "(Hello), how are you?")
- Sue: I don't think he's got any chance of winning again. WBY?
- Helen: You never know. Anything is possible in this crazy world. (Here WBY is being used with the meaning "What do you think?")
An Academic Look at WBYWBY is an initialism abbreviation. This means it is pronounced using its individual letters (i.e., "Dublyoo Bee Wye"). (Initialisms contrast with acronyms, which are spoken like words.)
WBY plays the role of an interrogative sentence (i.e., a question), but it is commonly seen without a question mark. In other words, it can be written "WBY?" or "WBY."
What Did We Say before Texting and Social Media?Before the digital era, we would have just said "How 'Bout You?" instead of using WBY.
Example of WBY Used in a Text
Help Us Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?
See AlsoHWU (hey, what's up?) KLK (que lo que? (Spanish for "What's up?")) KWAM (know what I mean?) KWIM (know what I mean?) SNU (what's new?) SUP (what's up) W_up (what's up) WAU (what about you?) WBU (what about you?) WCD (whatcha doing?)
QuizTry our fun quiz to test your knowledge of slang and texting abbreviations.
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.