SMH Meaning (particularly on Instagram and Reddit)
What Does SMH Mean?The abbreviation SMH means "Shaking My Head." It doesn't mean "no," like classic head shaking might. Instead, it is an expression of disbelief or disapproval. SMH is similar to phrases such as:
- "Your idiocy leaves me speechless!"
- "I can't believe it. What are you like?!"
- "I do not approve of that."
The use of SMH is particularly common on Instagram, Snapchat and Reddit, where it typically appears with a hashtag (#SMH) and accompanies gifs of celebrities shaking their heads.
Video Summarizing the Abbreviation SMH
Summary of Key Points"Shaking My Head" is the most common definition for SMH on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Reddit, Roblox, and Instagram.
|Definition:||Shaking My Head|
2: Quite easy to guess
Adults and Teenagers
Image for SMHWhen I write SMH, I mean this:
SMH usually translates as "I have no words for your stupidity."
Examples of SMH in SentencesHere are some examples of SMH being used in sentences:
- Jo: Was that your comment in the suggestions book?
- Karl: Yes! Pretty cool idea, eh?
- Jo: #SMH.
- Harry: Megs and I are going to live in Canada. No-one will bother us there.
- William: What?! SMH.
An Academic Look at SMHSMH is an initialism abbreviation. This means it is pronounced using its individual letters (i.e., "Ess Emm Aich"). Initialisms contrast with acronyms, which are spoken like words.
The term SMH cannot be easily categorized as a particular part of speech because it often plays the role of an entire clause or a sentence. For example:
- SMH. That was a crazy decision.
(Here, SMH translates as "I am shaking my head." It is a sentence.)
- I am driving SMH.
(Here, SMH best translates as "while shaking my head." It is a dependent clause.)
Example of SMH Used in a Text
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Did you know a slang term that we've missed?