What Does OBV Mean?OBV means "Obviously." The abbreviation OBV is a contraction of the word "Obviously." It is typically seen as a single word reply to an obvious statement or to a question that doesn't need a detailed response because the answer is so obvious.
OBV is one of many abbreviations of the word "Obvious." Others include:
Image for OBV
When I write OBV, I mean this:
OBV is obviously a single word response.
Summary of Key Points"Obviously" is the most common definition for OBV on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
2: Quite easy to guess
Adults and Teenagers
Examples of OBV in SentencesHere are examples of OBV being used in conversations:
- Lucy: Are you driving tonight?
- Alice: OBV not. They're supplying free drinks!
- Cherie: My new date is called "Muscles."
- Abi: OBV. It couldn't possibly have been "Brains."
An Academic Look at OBVOBV is a shortened version of the word obviously. Therefore it is a contraction. Contractions tend to be formed in one of three ways:
- Using letters from the start of the word (e.g., OBV from obviously).
- Using letters from the start and end of the word (e.g., Dr from Doctor).
- Using an apostrophe to replace a letter or letters (e.g., can't from cannot).
What Did We Say before Texting and Social Media?Before the digital era, we would have just said "Obviously" instead of using the abbreviation OBV.
Example of OBV Used in a Text
Help Us Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?
See AlsoLDO (Like Duh, Obviously) OBVY (Obviously) OBVZ (Obviously) BATE (Obvious) BAIT (Obvious Or Axiomatic)
QuizTry our fun quiz to test your knowledge of slang and texting abbreviations.
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.