What is a COVIDIOT? Can sounds give you brain tingles? What is a man looking for younger girls called? What is an "Unexplained Drinking Injury (UDI)"? What does QQ mean? P911 means parents are watching! Why does <4 mean "more than love"? What does DIAMOND HANDS mean? Send an encrypted message. Learn all the Snapchat emojis.
What Does NERD Mean?The term NERD is generally accepted to describe a "clever but socially awkward person." Of note, however, NERD is quickly moving away from a word with a negative connotation (i.e., to brand someone as uncool). Recently, NERD has evolved into a more positive term that simply describes someone with a passion for something (i.e., a science NERD, a music NERD, or a food NERD). It is even starting to take on a cool edge, and increasingly more people are happy to have themselves labelled as a NERD.
Summary of Key Points
Definition for NERDNERD means "Clever but socially awkward person." This is the most common meaning for NERD on social-media platforms such as Twitter, Facebook, and Snapchat.
|Definition:||Clever but socially awkward person|
|Type:||Slang Word (Jargon)|
1: Easy to guess
Adults and Teenagers
Image for NERDWhen I write NERD, I mean this:
A NERD is someone who excels in a subject deemed to be uncool.
Examples of NERD in SentencesHere are examples of NERD being used in conversations:
- Tony: Hey, have you been watching the new series about space?
- Jordan: No, NERD. I have a social life. (Here, NERD is offered with a negative connotation.)
- Tony: Can you fix my PC please. You're an IT NERD.
- Jordan: Of course.
- Tony: You're a star. Thanks. (Here, NERD is offered with a positive connotation.)
An Academic Look at NERDNERD is used as a noun (i.e., a naming word). For example:
- You are the biggest Maths NERD I've ever met. (Here, NERD is being used as a noun.)
What Did We Say before Texting and Social Media?Before the 1950s, when NERD was first introduced into society, we might have said something like "drip" or "square" instead of NERD.
Example of NERD Used in a Text
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Did you know a slang term that we've missed?