What Does IRLY Mean?IRLY means "I Really Like You" or "I Really Love You".
The abbreviation IRLY is commonly used with the meaning "I Really Like You" or "I Really Love You" to let the recipient know they are special to the sender. The addition of "really" usually serves to emphasize the depth of emotion. However, when used with the meaning "I Really Like You", IRLY can have either positive or negative connotations for the recipient. For example:
- IRLY. You always know just what to say.
- IRLY too. Even though I have only known you for such a short time. (Here, IRLY has very positive connotations and indicates that this relationship has the potential to develop into something more serious.)
- You are so much more than a friend to me. I don't think I could live without you.
- IRLY. It's always nice to chat. (Here, IRLY indicates that this relationship is probably not going to develop into anything more romantic.)
Summary of Key Points
First Definition for IRLYIRLY means "I Really Like You". This is the most common definition for IRLY on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, and Twitter.
|Definition:||I Really Like You|
Adults and Teenagers
Second Definition for IRLYIRLY also means "I Really Love You":
|Definition:||I Really Love You|
Adults and Teenagers
Image for IRLYWhen I write IRLY, I mean this:
IRLY also means "I Really Love You".
Examples of IRLY in SentencesHere are examples of IRLY being used in conversations:
- Her: I'm busy every night this week.
- Him: Oh... but, IRLY.
- Ryan: Do you like me?
- Sian: IRLY.
- Ryan: Fancy going for a drink sometime?
- Sian: I thought you'd never ask.
An Academic Look at IRLYThe abbreviation IRLY is an initialism abbreviation. Technically, this means it is pronounced using its individual letters (i.e., Eye Arr Ell Why). However, it is not usually spoken using its letters. The abbreviation IRLY is for efficiency in writing and not efficiency in speech.
What Did We Say before Texting and Social Media?Before the digital era, we would have just said "I Really Like You" or "I Really Love You" instead of using the abbreviation IRLY.
Example of IRLY Used in a Text
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Did you know a slang term that we've missed?