What Does IRL Mean?IRL (In Real Life) is used to differentiate between the virtual world (i.e., the internet) and reality. It can also be used to differentiate between actors' characters and the actors themselves.
Summary of Key Points"In Real Life" is the most common definition for IRL on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Here is some more information about IRL:
|Definition:||In Real Life|
4: Difficult to guess
Adults and Teenagers
An Image for IRLWhen I write IRL, I mean this:
Some things can be a real let-down in real life.
Examples of IRL in SentencesHere are examples of IRL being used in sentences:
- Person A: I now have 1000 Facebook friends!
- Person B: All you need now is some IRL. (Here, IRL is used to differentiate between the online world and reality.)
- She is high maintenance IRL. (Here, IRL is used to differentiate between an actress's character and the actress herself.)
An Academic Look at IRLIRL is a prepositional phrase (the preposition is in), which is used as an adverb to establish the setting for the main clause. Compare the examples below:
- In York, you can still legally shoot a Scotsman with a bow. (Here, the prepositional phrase In York is an adverb of place.)
- IRL, you'll be sent to prison. (Here, IRL is also an adverb of place but it serves like an adverb of concession, which is similar in meaning to In real life though.)
A Text with IRL