What is a COVIDIOT? Can sounds give you brain tingles? What is a man looking for younger girls called? What is an "Unexplained Drinking Injury (UDI)"? What does QQ mean? P911 means parents are watching! Why does <4 mean "more than love"? What does DIAMOND HANDS mean? Send an encrypted message. Learn all the Snapchat emojis.
What Does IRL Mean?IRL means "In Real Life."
The abbreviation IRL is used with the meaning "In Real Life" to differentiate between the virtual world (i.e., the internet) and reality. It can also be used to differentiate between actors' characters and the actors themselves. For example:
- Tony: I now have 1000 Facebook friends!
- Jordan: All you need now is some friends IRL. (Here, IRL is used to differentiate between the online world and reality.)
- He seems such a lovely guy on screen, but he is a horrible person IRL. (Here, IRL is used to differentiate between an actress's character and the actress himself.)
Video Summarizing IRLHere's a short video explaining how to use IRL:
Summary of Key Points"In Real Life" is the most common definition for IRL on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
|Definition:||In Real Life|
4: Difficult to guess
Adults and Teenagers
Image for IRLWhen I write IRL, I mean this:
Some things can be a real let-down in real life.
An Academic Look at IRLIRL is a prepositional phrase (the preposition is in), which is used as an adverb to establish the setting for the main clause. Compare the examples below:
- In York, you can still legally shoot a Scotsman with a bow. (Here, the prepositional phrase In York is an adverb of place.)
- IRL, you'll be sent to prison. (Here, IRL is also an adverb of place but it serves like an adverb of concession, which is similar in meaning to In real life though.)
Example of IRL Used in a Text
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Did you know a slang term that we've missed?