What Does ICYMI Mean in a Text?ICYMI means "In Case You Missed It."
The abbreviation ICYMI is often used as a way to recap or bring attention to information that was previously shared. It's a way to ensure that information is seen by as many people as possible, especially those who might have missed it the first time. For example:
- Jo: Trump claimed the election was rigged, encouraged his supporters to attack the Capitol, has been found guilty of sexual assault, and is a liar. ICYMI, here's a link to an article about the 30,573 false or misleading claims he made over 4 years: washingtonpost.com
- Sam: ICYMI, here's a link to an article about the MSM cover-up of Hunter Biden's laptop: nypost.com.
Image for ICYMI
When I write ICYMI, I mean this:
ICYMI is used to bring attention to information that was previously shared.
Summary of Key Points"In Case You Missed It" is the most common definition for ICYMI on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
|In Case You Missed It
4: Difficult to guess
Adults and Teenagers
An Academic Look at ICYMIICYMI is an initialism abbreviation. Technically, this means it is pronounced using its individual letters (i.e., Eye See Why Em Eye). However, as this is harder to say than "in case you missed it," ICYMI is not often spoken using its letters. It is an abbreviation used for efficiency in writing, rather than for efficiency in speech.
The ICYMI can be classified as an adverb of condition. Such adverbs normally start with if. Compare the examples below:
- If you missed it, here it is.
- ICYMI, here it is.
Example of ICYMI Used in a Text
Help Us Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?
See AlsoFOMO (fear of missing out) MIA (missing in action) GTBOSH (glad to be of some help) IMY (I miss you)
QuizTry our fun quiz to test your knowledge of slang and texting abbreviations.
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.