What Does FOMO Mean?FOMO means a "Fear Of Missing Out." FOMO is characterized by the need to remain engaged with others' activities to ensure you do not miss out on something fun, exciting, beneficial, or profitable.
While FOMO can be a serious condition that leaves the sufferer feeling useless and unwanted, the term is mostly used in a lighter sense as a justification for attending an event. For example:
- Are you going to Jack's party?
- My FOMO will get be there.
- My life is so boring compared to yours!
- That's your FOMO talking. I didn't want the party, and I couldn't wait for everyone to leave.
Summary of Key Points"Fear of Missing Out" is the most common definition for FOMO on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
|Definition:||Fear of Missing Out|
4: Difficult to guess
Adults and Teenagers
Image for FOMOWhen I write FOMO, I mean this:
The image shows a busy mum interacting on lots of social-media platforms because of her fear of missing out.
Examples of FOMO in SentencesHere are some examples of FOMO being used in sentences:
- Toby: Did you invest in those new oil wells?
- Mark: Yes. As usual, my FOMO influenced my thinking.
An Academic Look at FOMOFOMO is an acronym (i.e., an abbreviation spoken like a word). Acronyms differ from initialism abbreviations, which are pronounced using their individual letters. FOMO typically plays the role of a noun, but it is occasionally seen as an adjective. For example:
- My FOMO makes me attend every session. (Here, FOMO is a noun.)
- It is my FOMO complex. (Here, FOMO is an adjective.)
Example of FOMO Used in a Text
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Did you know a slang term that we've missed?