What is a COVIDIOT? Can sounds give you brain tingles? What is a man looking for younger girls called? What is an "Unexplained Drinking Injury (UDI)"? What does QQ mean? P911 means parents are watching! Why does <4 mean "more than love"? What does DIAMOND HANDS mean? Send an encrypted message. Learn all the Snapchat emojis.
What Does BR Mean?BR means "Best Regards." The abbreviation BR, meaning "Best Regards," is most commonly used to wrap up online or text-based conversations. It is used in its literal sense, i.e., there is no connotation. BR literally means "I wish you my best regards."
Of note, "Best Regards" is also often abbreviated as BRGDS and as BEST.
Other meanings of the abbreviation BR include:
- "British Rail." In Great Britain, BR can also mean "British Rail," which was the publicly-owned operator of most of the rail transport in the country. Although the company was broken-up and privatised in 1997, many older British people still refer to the current railway companies using the abbreviation BR.
- "Brigate Rosse." In Italy, BR can mean "Brigate Rosse" ("Red Brigades" in English). BR was an Italian paramilitary organization, mainly active during the 1970s and 1980s. The group was responsible for numerous violent incidents, including assassinations, robberies and kidnappings.
Summary of Key Points"Best Regards" is the most common definition for BR on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
Adults and Teenagers
Image for BRWhen I write BR, I mean this:
BR usually means "Best Regards."
Examples of BR in SentencesHere's an example of BR being used in a joke with the meaning "Best Regards":
- Today a man knocked on my door and asked for a small donation towards the local swimming pool. I gave him my BR and a glass of water.
An Academic Look at BRBR is an initialism abbreviation. Technically, this means it is pronounced using its individual letters (i.e., Bee Arr). However, as the abbreviation BR is typically used for efficiency in writing and not efficiency in speech it is not often uttered using its letters.
Initialisms contrast with acronyms, which are spoken like words.
What Did We Say before Texting and Social Media?Before the digital era, we might have just said something like "Regards" or "Best Regards" instead of using the abbreviation BR.
Example of BR Used in a Text
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Did you know a slang term that we've missed?