What Does AWS Mean?AWS means "As We Speak". The abbreviation AWS typically emphasizes that something is occurring at that very moment, i.e., right now. It is often used humorously.
Other meanings of AWS include:
- "Awesome" (i.e., "Outstanding" or "Amazing").
- "Amazon Web Services" (A cloud-based computing platform provided by Amazon.com).
- "Automatic Warning System" (A safety system fitted to trains, which gives audible warnings about the signals being passed and which can apply the brakes automatically).
- Tony: What's happening in Game of Thrones?
- Jordan: Not much. A couple of main characters died this week and, AWS, the army of the dead continues its unbelievably slow march on the wall.
- Tony: Are you on your way?
- Jordan: I am shutting down my computer AWS.
- We're pulling into the driveway AWS. (Here, AWS emphasizes that the verb (are pulling in) is occurring now.)
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Did you know a slang term that we've missed?
Summary of Key Points"As We Speak" is the most common definition for AWS on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
|Definition:||As We Speak|
Adults and Teenagers
Image for AWSWhen I write AWS, I mean this:
AWS usually means now or at this moment.
Examples of AWS in SentencesHere are examples of AWS being used in conversations:
An Academic Look at AWSAWS is an initialism abbreviation. Technically, this means it is pronounced using its individual letters (i.e., "Ay DUBLYOO Ess"). Initialisms are different to acronyms, which are spoken like words.
AWS is typically used as an adverb of time. An adverb of time modifies a verb to describe when the verb occurs. For example:
What Did We Use To Say?Before the digital era, we might have said something like "right now" or "at this very moment" instead of using the abbreviation AWS.
Example of AWS Used in a Text