What Does AFP Mean?AFP means "Away from Phone". The abbreviation AFP is typically used to indicate that the sender will not be able to answer calls or messages for a while. AFP is typically sent in anticipation of not being able to respond to contact, for example, just before entering a meeting or an area where the use of phones is not allowed. However, AFP may also be sent when someone receives a call or message that they are unable to answer .
Other common definitions of AFP are:
- "Agence France-Presse" (An international news agency with its headquarters in Paris, France).
- "Australian Federal Police " (The federal police agency of Australia).
- "Armed Forces of the Philippines" (Composed of the Army, Navy (including the Marine Corps) and Air Force ).
Summary of Key Points"Away from Phone" is the most common definition for AFP on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
|Definition:||Away from Phone|
Adults and Teenagers
Image for AFPWhen I write AFP, I mean this:
I'm AFP & can't talk at the moment.
Examples of AFP in SentencesHere are examples of AFP being used in conversations:
- Tony: Hey man, when can we talk about the money you owe me?
- Jordan: Sorry, AFP right now.
- Tony: Going into the cinema now. Will be AFP until further notice.
- Jordan: Enjoy the movie. Will wait to hear from you.
An Academic Look at AFPAFP is an initialism abbreviation. This means it is pronounced using its individual letters (i.e., "Ay Eff Pee"). (Of note, initialisms contrast with acronyms, which are spoken like words.)
Technically, AFP is an adverb of place, but it most often used like a standalone declarative sentence (i.e., a statement), which translates best as "I am away from the phone."
Example of AFP Used in a Text
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Did you know a slang term that we've missed?