What Does ABS Mean?ABS means "Absolutely". The abbreviation ABS is most commonly used in internet chat forums and text speak to mean "Absolutely", as in "Completely" or "Totally". In this context, ABS is typically used to express agreement.
ABS is also used in online and in general speech to refer to the stomach muscles, more specifically, the rectus abdominis or "Abdominals". The ABS are the principal muscles that show when a person has a well-defined "six pack".
Of note, ABS can also refer to "Anti-Lock Brakes", which is an electronically-controlled braking system that prevents a vehicle's brakes from locking-up when they are applied harshly.
Summary of Key Points"Absolutely" is the most common definition for ABS on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Here is some more information about ABS:
2: Quite easy to guess
Adults and Teenagers
An Image for ABSWhen I write ABS, I mean this:
ABS often refers to the "rectus abdominis" or abdominal muscles.
Examples of ABS in SentencesHere are examples of ABS being used in conversations:
- Person A: Don't you just hate it when people respond to your questions with one-word answers?
- Person B: ABS. (Here, ABS expresses agreement.)
- Person A: My ABS are sore after that workout. I bet I have a six pack by tomorrow.
- Person B: You're 100 pounds overweight, you dork. You won't see your ABS for at least six months. (Here, ABS refers to the abdominal muscles.)
An Academic Look at ABSWhen used to mean "Absolutely" or "Abdominals", ABS is a shortened version, or a contraction, of those words. Contractions tend to be formed in one of three ways:
- Using letters from the start of the word (e.g., ABS from "Absolutely").
- Using letters from the start and end of the word (e.g., ABS from "Abdominals").
- Using an apostrophe to replace a letter or letters (e.g., can't from "Cannot").
What Did We Used To Say?Before the digital era, we would have just said or written something like "Completely" or "Totally" instead of using ABS to mean "Absolutely".
Summary of Key Points
Second Definition for ABSThis meaning was also noted:
1: Easy to guess
Adults and Teenagers
A Text with ABS