What is a COVIDIOT? Can sounds give you brain tingles? What is a man looking for younger girls called? What is an "Unexplained Drinking Injury (UDI)"? What does QQ mean? P911 means parents are watching! Why does <4 mean "more than love"? What does DIAMOND HANDS mean? Send an encrypted message. Learn all the Snapchat emojis.
Search our site
What Does 420 Mean?420 means "Cannabis."
The term 420 is often used by cannabis smokers as a way to refer discreetly to the drug.
The origin of 420 as a name for cannabis is somewhat disputed. There are a number of popular theories, including:
- A group of teenagers who called themselves The Waldos went to a high school in San Rafael, California. They claim to have first used the term 420 in the fall of 1971 when they met every day after school at 4:20pm to smoke cannabis.
- Bob Dylan's 1966 song "Rainy Day Women #12 & 35" contains the lyric "everybody must get stoned" as a direct reference to getting high on cannabis. If you multiply 12 & 35, the product is 420.
- It has also been claimed that 420 is the radio code used by police to describe catching anyone smoking weed. However, this theory has been disproved. Section 420 of the California penal code actually refers to obstructing entry on public land.
As a result of the popularity and significance of 420, mile marker and street signs bearing the number are frequently targets of theft. The states of Colorado & Idaho had to remove or replace their mile marker 420 signs because of this issue.
Image for 420When I write 420, I mean this: 420 is a discreet way of referring to cannabis.
Summary of Key Points"Cannabis" is the most common definition for 420 on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
|Type:||Slang Word (Jargon)|
4: Difficult to guess
Adults and Teenagers
Examples of 420 in SentencesHere are examples of 420 being used in conversations:
- Stoner A: Don't you just love 420?
- Stoner B: Of course I do! It is my favorite day of the year and time of the day!
- Stoner A: What are you doing for 420 this year?
- Stoner B: Same thing I do every day, dude.
An Academic Look at 420420 is defined as a cyber term because its characters are used as substitutes for letters (in this case, 420 replaces the date April 20th, or the time 4.20 pm).
Most cyber terms were introduced to reduce the number of key strokes required to write a word or phrase. However, since the arrival of predictive texting and keyboards on mobile devices, this efficiency is no longer required.
Using Numbers in TextsThis video shows the different ways that numbers are used in "text speak":
Example of 420 Used in a Text
Help Us To Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?