Meaning of WDUM
What Does WDUM Mean?WDUM (What Do You Mean?) is mostly used in its literal sense (i.e., to ask for an explanation of something previously said). However, it can also be used to recognize a cheeky suggestion (e.g, an innuendo). In this second meaning, WDUM carries a connotation like "Me? Whatever do you mean?" For example:
- Person A: You're not unpopular with the ladies.
- Person B: WDUM? (Here, Person A is implying that Person B has had lots of girlfriends, and Person B is recognizing Person A's allusion to this fact.)
Summary of Key Points
Definition for WDUMWDUM means "What Do You Mean?". This is the most common definition for WDUM on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, and Twitter. Here is some more information about WDUM:
|Definition:||What Do You Mean?|
2: Quite easy to guess
Adults and Teenagers
An Image for WDUMWhen I write WDUM, I mean this:
Actor Leslie Phillips often played cads who would say lines like "I'm sure I have no idea what you mean, madam" after a deliberate innuendo.
Examples of WDUM in SentencesHere are examples of WDUM being used in conversations:
- Person A: I cannot assemble this Ikea wardrobe.
- Person B: WAEFRD!
- Person A: WDUM?
- Person B: When all else fails, read directions! (Here, WDUM is being used in its literal sense.)
- Person A: Is that a new shirt? Are you on the prowl?
- Person B: WDUM? (Here, WDUM is being used with the connotation "Me? Whatever do you mean?".)
An Academic Look at WDUMWDUM plays the role of an interrogative sentence (i.e., a question), but it is commonly seen without a question mark. In other words, it can be written "WDUM?" or "WDUM".
WDUM is an initialism abbreviation. Technically, this means it is pronounced using its individual letters (i.e., Dublyu Dee Yoo Em), but as this is harder to say than "What do you mean," it is not often spoken using its letters. In other words, the abbreviation WDUM is for efficiency in writing and not efficiency in speech.
What Did We Used To Say?Before the digital era, we might have written something like "Please explain yourself" or "I'm sure I have no idea what you mean, sir" instead of WDUM.
A Text with WDUM
Using WDUM on a Cell Phone (SMS Texts, Whatsapp, and Yubl)