What is a COVIDIOT? Can sounds give you brain tingles? What is a man looking for younger girls called? What is an "Unexplained Drinking Injury (UDI)"? What does QQ mean? P911 means parents are watching! Why does <4 mean "more than love"? What does DIAMOND HANDS mean? Send an encrypted message. Learn all the Snapchat emojis.
What Does STAN Mean?STAN means "Stalker Fan" or "Obsessed Fan." A STAN differs to a fan because it is much more extreme. In 2000, Eminem released a song called Stan. In the song, the character, Stan, is an overzealous fan who obsessively writes and stalks his idol. Eventually, Stan kills his own girlfriend after he becomes frustrated by the lack of attention Eminem gives him.
Although its origins describe a very extreme case of a crazed fan, the term STAN is now used in a much less dark and negative way. Over the years, it has come to describe anyone who takes their love of a particular artist or entertainment franchise to new extremes. For example, STANS may dedicate social media profiles, websites, and forums to particular celebrities.
Summary of Key Points"Obsessed Fan" is the most common definition for STAN on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
|Type:||Slang Word (Jargon)|
2: Quite easy to guess
Adults and Teenagers
Image for STANWhen I write STAN, I mean this:
["STAN" is based off a character from an Eminem song.]
Examples of STAN in SentencesHere are examples of STAN being used in conversations:
- Swiftie: I STAN for Taylor Swift. I went to her concert twice.
- Friend: I hope you're not proud of yourself.
- Swiftie: A true Swiftie would never be ashamed.
- Tony: Shaun waited for 8 hours outside of a hotel just to glimpse Nicki Minaj.
- Jordan: I had no idea he was such a STAN.
An Academic Look at STANThe term "STAN" is just as popular as a verb as it is a noun. When used as a verb, it is formed with the preposition "for." This is called a phrasal verb. Although STAN's origins lie in Eminem's song "Stan." Retroactively, the word is said to be a combination of the words "stalker" and "fan." This would make the term a portmanteau word.
STAN may be used as a noun (i.e., a naming word). For example:
- Are you an Elton John STAN? (Here, STAN is being used as a noun.)
- She STANS FOR Katy Perry. (Here, STAN is being used as a verb.)
Example of STAN Used in a Text
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Did you know a slang term that we've missed?