What is a COVIDIOT? Can sounds give you brain tingles? What is a man looking for younger girls called? What is an "Unexplained Drinking Injury (UDI)"? What does QQ mean? P911 means parents are watching! Why does <4 mean "more than love"? What does DIAMOND HANDS mean? Send an encrypted message. Learn all the Snapchat emojis.
What Does SELFITIS Mean? (Using SELFITIS Online)SELFITIS means "Obsessive Taking Of Selfies."
The term SELFITIS was first used in 2014, in a spoof article that claimed that the American Psychiatric Association had deemed it a mental health disorder. However, in 2017, a research paper published in the International Journal of Mental Health and Addiction, by Nottingham Trent University in the UK and the Thiagarajar School of Management in India, reported that SELFITIS is a genuine ailment.
The researchers were careful to point out that their results were preliminary and that the subject of SELFITIS requires further research. However, they are certain that the condition exists and have developed a behaviour scale which can be used to assess its severity. The scale was tested using a survey of 400 participants in India, which was chosen as the country has the largest number of Facebook users, as well as the highest number of deaths as a result of trying to take selfies in dangerous locations. As a result of this testing, the researchers identified three levels of SELFITIS:
- Borderline SELFITIS. People who take selfies at least three times a day, but do not post them on social media.
- Acute SELFITIS. People who take selfies at least three times a day and do post them on social media.
- Chronic SELFITIS. People who feel an uncontrollable urge to take selfies all the time and who post them more than six times a day.
Summary of Key Points"Obsessive Taking Of Selfies" is the most common definition for SELFITIS on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
|Definition:||Obsessive Taking Of Selfies|
|Type:||Slang Word (Jargon)|
2: Quite easy to guess
Adults, Teenagers, and Under 13s
Image for SELFITISWhen I write SELFITIS, I mean this:
A very bad case of SELFITIS.
Examples of SELFITIS in SentencesHere are examples of SELFITIS being used in conversations:
- Nicole: Some people say I've got acute SELFITIS.
- Rob: That's not fair. I think you were vain and insecure long before selfies were invented.
- Steve: Why are all the photos you post always only of you? Have you got SELFITIS or what?
- Steph: Maybe. But, then again, it might just be because I don't want my friends to see how ugly you are.
An Academic Look at SELFITISSELFITIS is a noun (i.e., a naming word). It was officially accepted as a word by the Oxford English Dictionary in 2014.
What Did We Say before Texting and Social Media?Before the digital era, selfies didn't exist. However, we might have used words such as "Vain," "Poser," or "Self-Obsessed" to describe the character traits of the type of people who now suffer with SELFITIS.
Example of SELFITIS Used in a Text
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Did you know a slang term that we've missed?