What is a COVIDIOT? Can sounds give you brain tingles? What is a man looking for younger girls called? What is an "Unexplained Drinking Injury (UDI)"? What does QQ mean? P911 means parents are watching! Why does <4 mean "more than love"? What does DIAMOND HANDS mean? Send an encrypted message. Learn all the Snapchat emojis.
What Does PWNED Mean?PWNED means "Owned or Truly Beaten."
PWNED is most commonly used in sport or online gaming with the meaning "Owned or Truly Beaten" to indicate that a player has suffered or inflicted a humiliating defeat.
The term PWNED almost certainly derives from the erroneous typing of OWNED. (The letters P and O are next to each other a standard keyboard.)
PWNED is often typed as PWND, PWNT and, especially, PWN3D. (The number 3 is a common replacement for the letter E in cyber speak.)
Although most commonly used in relation to gaming (e.g., on Discord and other gaming related apps), PWNED is also often used to refer to sports. For example:
- I was on fire during tennis practice today. I totally PWNED the coach during the second set.
- That was a brilliant sales pitch! You totally PWNED them!
Summary of Key Points"Owned or Truly Beaten" is the most common definition for PWNED on gaming apps, such as Discord and TeamSpeak, as well as on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
|Definition:||Owned or Truly Beaten|
4: Difficult to guess
Adults and Teenagers
Image for PWNEDWhen I write PWNED, I mean this:
PWNED means "Owned."
Examples of PWNED in SentencesHere are examples of PWNED being used in conversations:
- Ollie: How did you get on with level 10 last night?
- Helen: Terrible! I was totally PWNED.
- Ivor: The Yankees were totally PWNED on Saturday.
- Jill: I can't argue with that.
- Jenny: I did 50 lengths of the pool tonight.
- Leanne: 50? I did 75! You've been PWNED!
An Academic Look at PWNEDPWNED is the past tense of "to own" (i.e., owned). "Pawned" and "poned" are the most popular pronunciations.
What Did We Say before Texting and Social Media?Before the digital era, we might have said something like "dominated" or "soundly thrashed" instead of PWNED.
Example of PWNED Used in a Text
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Did you know a slang term that we've missed?