What is a COVIDIOT? Can sounds give you brain tingles? What is a man looking for younger girls called? What is an "Unexplained Drinking Injury (UDI)"? What does QQ mean? P911 means parents are watching! Why does <4 mean "more than love"? What does DIAMOND HANDS mean? Send an encrypted message. Learn all the Snapchat emojis.
What Does HOAY Mean?HOAY means "How Old Are You?" The abbreviation HOAY is typically used as a straightforward question, asked to determine someone's age. In this context, it is most commonly found on dating websites and apps.
HOAY can also be used as a rhetorical question. In this context, it is often used as an expression of amusement, exasperation or disbelief. For example:
- Clare: I can't sleep without my cuddly toys in the bed.
- Rose: Really? HOAY? (Here HOAY expresses mild amusement.)
- Tom: I daren't ask the boss for a raise. He might shout at me.
- Jane: HOAY? Get in there now! (Here HOAY expresses exasperation.)
- Alice: I could meet you in Manchester on Saturday.
- Ryan: That sounds good. HOAY?
- Alice: Age is just a number.
- Ryan: An important one in this case.
- Sam: Can I have your picture so I can show Santa what I want for Christmas?
- Ella: That's so cheesy. HOAY?
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Did you know a slang term that we've missed?
Summary of Key Points"How Old Are You?" is the most common definition for HOAY on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
|Definition:||How Old Are You?|
Adults, Teenagers, and Under 13s
Image for HOAYWhen I write HOAY, I mean this:
HOAY? doesn't always require an answer.
Examples of HOAY in SentencesHere are examples of HOAY being used in conversations:
An Academic Look at HOAYHOAY plays the role of an interrogative sentence (i.e., a question), but it is commonly seen without a question mark. In other words, it can be written "HOAY?" or "HOAY".
HOAY is an initialism abbreviation. Technically, this means it is pronounced using its individual letters (i.e., "Aitch Oh Ay Why"), but it is not often spoken using its letters. In other words, the abbreviation HOAYis for efficiency in writing and not efficiency in speech.
What Did We Say before Texting and Social Media?Before the digital era, we might have just said "How Old Are You?" or something like "Grow Up!" instead of using HOAY.
Example of HOAY Used in a Text