What is a COVIDIOT? Can sounds give you brain tingles? What is a man looking for younger girls called? What is an "Unexplained Drinking Injury (UDI)"? What does QQ mean? P911 means parents are watching! Why does <4 mean "more than love"? What does DIAMOND HANDS mean? Send an encrypted message. Learn all the Snapchat emojis.
What Does FINNA Mean?FINNA is shorthand for "I am fixing to" or "I am going to." It is an amalgam of "fixing to" (which means "preparing to") and "gonna."
FIXING TO + GONNA = FINNA
Although rare, FINNA can also be used to describe a person who consistently promises to do things but rarely does.
Summary of Key Points"Going To or About To (probably from "I am fixing to")" is the most common definition for FINNA on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
|Definition:||I Am Fixing To
(I Am Going To)
|Type:||Slang Word (Jargon)|
2: Quite easy to guess
Adults and Teenagers
Image for FINNAWhen I write FINNA, I mean this:
FINNA is an amalgam of fixing to and gonna.
Examples of FINNA in SentencesHere are examples of FINNA being used in conversations:
- Finna eat my bodyweight in pizza tonight. (Here, FINNA means "I am going to.")
- Tony: Jack is going to swim the English Channel this summer.
- Jordan: Jack was going to do a Law degree too. He's a real FINNA. (Here, FINNA means a person who promises a lot but delivers little.)
An Academic Look at FINNAFINNA is a portmanteau word, which is the term for when two words are merged into one. FINNA is an amalgam of fixing to and gonna. (NB: SPEXY (from spectacles and sexy) is another example of a portmanteau word.)
FINNA best translates as "I am going to." As such, it is usually followed by the base form of an infinitive verb (i.e., without to).
- Finna drink a cool lager. (Here, drink is the base form of the verb to drink.)
What Did We Say before Texting and Social Media?Before the digital era, we would have said something like "I am fixing to" instead of FINNA. The term "I am fixing to" started to become common in the 1950s. [click here for evidence]
Example of FINNA Used in a Text
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Did you know a slang term that we've missed?