What Does TEOTWAWKI Mean?TEOTWAWKI means "The End of the World As We Know It."
The abbreviation TEOTWAWKI is primarily used to refer to the failure of existing institutions and norms of society, usually caused by a catastrophic event, such as a nuclear war or global disaster.
TEOTWAWKI is a popular subject in online discussions between members of survivalist groups. However, it is also used ironically, sarcastically or with deliberate hyperbole to refer to all sorts of events, the actual impact of which on the world is clearly not so devastating.
Of note, TEOTWAWKI is often typed as EOTWAWKI ("End of the World As We Know It").
Image for TEOTWAWKI
When I write TEOTWAWKI, I mean this:
TEOTWAWKI is also often written without the first "T," i.e., End of the World As We Know It.
Summary of Key Points"The End of the World As We Know It" is the most common definition for TEOTWAWKI on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
|Definition:||The End of the World As We Know It|
2: Quite easy to guess
Adults and Teenagers
Examples of TEOTWAWKI in SentencesHere are examples of TEOTWAWKI being used in conversations:
- Jack: They're saying again that these sorts of weather events are unprecedented and it's not clear if we are going to be able to do anything about it if we don't act now.
- Ryan: If we don't do something soon, it will be TEOTWAWKI.
- Virginia: One Direction have confirmed that they are going to break up!
- Laura: No! it can't be! It's TEOTWAWKI!
An Academic Look at TEOTWAWKIAs it is pronounced using its individual letters (i.e., "Tee Ee Oh Tee Dblyoo Ay Dblyoo Kay Eye"), TEOTWAWKI is classified as an initialism abbreviation. Initialisms are different to acronyms, which are spoken like words.
What Did We Say before Texting and Social Media?Before the digital era, we would have just said "The End of the World As We Know It" instead of using the abbreviation TEOTWAWKI.
Example of TEOTWAWKI Used in a Text
Help Us Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?
See AlsoATEOTD (at the end of the day) EAS (end of active service) EOTW (end of the world) TTEOT (till the end of time) New ways to say I love you Text-speak using just numbers A list of dating terms
QuizTry our fun quiz to test your knowledge of slang and texting abbreviations.
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.