What is a COVIDIOT? Can sounds give you brain tingles? What is a man looking for younger girls called? What is an "Unexplained Drinking Injury (UDI)"? What does QQ mean? P911 means parents are watching! Why does <4 mean "more than love"? What does DIAMOND HANDS mean? Send an encrypted message. Learn all the Snapchat emojis.
What Does BYP Mean?BYP means "Beg Your Pardon". The abbreviation BYP is used in text-based communications such as instant messaging and chat rooms to mean "Beg Your Pardon", as in "I'm sorry" or "excuse me".
BYP is typically used when the sender wishes to clarify something that has been said, either because they have not understood the statement or because they disagree with it. For example:
- Person 1: All Trump supporters are racists.
- Person 2: BYP! I voted for Trump, and I am from a mixed-race family. (In this case, the sender is contradicting the original statement.)
Summary of Key Points"Beg Your Pardon" is the most common definition for BYP on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
|Definition:||Beg Your Pardon|
Adults and Teenagers
Image for BYPWhen I write BYP, I mean this:
The image shows a famous scene from Mary Poppins.
Examples of BYP in SentencesHere are examples of BYP being used in conversations:
- Husband: I was reading that women who are overweight die younger.
- Wife: BYP. A recent study has found that women who carry a little extra weight live longer than the men who mention it.
- Clive: You're so lazy! You never get anything done.
- June: BYP! I'm great at multitasking. I can waste time, be unproductive, and procrastinate all at once.
An Academic Look at BYPBYP is an initialism abbreviation. Technically, this means it is pronounced using its individual letters (i.e., Bee Why Pee). However, the abbreviation BYP is typically used for efficiency in writing and not efficiency in speech; therefore, it is not usually uttered using its letters.
Initialisms contrast with acronyms, which are spoken like words.
What Did We Say before Texting and Social Media?Before the digital era, we might have just said something like "excuse me" or "sorry" instead of using the abbreviation BYP.
Example of BYP Used in a Text
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Did you know a slang term that we've missed?