What is a COVIDIOT? Can sounds give you brain tingles? What is a man looking for younger girls called? What is an "Unexplained Drinking Injury (UDI)"? What does QQ mean? P911 means parents are watching! Why does <4 mean "more than love"? What does DIAMOND HANDS mean? Send an encrypted message. Learn all the Snapchat emojis.
What Does BTW Mean?BTW (By The Way) is typically used to change subject during a conversation. It can be used as a preamble or a postamble to signify the change of subject. For example:
- BTW I like your hair. (Here, BTW is a preamble, i.e., before the text.)
- I like your hair BTW. (Here, BTW is a postamble, i.e., after the text.)
Summary of Key Points"By the Way" is the most common definition for BTW on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
|Definition:||By the Way|
Adults and Teenagers
Image for BTWWhen I write BTW, I mean this:
BTW is commonly used to change subject during a conversation.
Examples of BTW in SentencesHere is an example of BTW being used in a conversation:
- Person A: Jack and Jill are going up the hill later.
- Jordan: She'll like that.
- Person A: BTW my cat brought someone's hamster home last night.
- Jordan: No way!
- Person A: Yes way!
An Academic Look at BTWBTW is an initialism abbreviation. Technically, this means it is pronounced using its individual letters (i.e., Bee Tee Dublyu), but as this is less intuitive to say than "by the way," it is not often said using its letters. In other words, the abbreviation BTW is for efficiency in writing and not efficiency in speech.
What Did We Say before Texting and Social Media?Before the digital era, we might have said something like "changing the subject" instead of BTW.
Example of BTW Used in a Text
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Did you know a slang term that we've missed?