What is a COVIDIOT? Can sounds give you brain tingles? What is a man looking for younger girls called? What is an "Unexplained Drinking Injury (UDI)"? What does QQ mean? P911 means parents are watching! Why does <4 mean "more than love"? What does DIAMOND HANDS mean? Send an encrypted message. Learn all the Snapchat emojis.
What Does AYK Mean?AYK means "As You Know." The abbreviation AYK is used as a preparatory statement to remind the recipient of a relevant fact before introducing further information.
The abbreviation AYK is sometimes used when the sender wishes to gain an advantage in a conversation, as they know full well that the recipient does not, in fact, "know", but will not want to say so and thereby show their ignorance.
The abbreviation AYK is also sometimes used sarcastically or jokingly, especially in conversations between friends.
Summary of Key Points"As You Know" is the most common definition for AYK on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
|Definition:||As You Know|
Adults and Teenagers
Image for AYKWhen I write AYK, I mean this:
"As You Know"
Examples of AYK in SentencesHere are examples of AYK being used in conversations:
- Dave: Where are you going on holiday this year?
- Sheila: AYK, we went to Spain last year, so we are thinking of France this time.
- Sean: What a result last night!
- Tim: AYK, I was saying all last week that they would win.
- Sean: Oh yeah...
- Anna: Are you coming to karaoke tonight?
- Tom: Of course. AYK, I am a fabulous singer when I´ve had a few pints.
- Anna: Actually, I think you´re a better singer when I´ve had more than a few.
An Academic Look at AYKAYK is an initialism abbreviation. Technically, this means it is pronounced using its individual letters (i.e., Eh Why Kay), but as this is harder to say than "As You Know" it is not often uttered using its letters. In other words, the abbreviation AYK is for efficiency in writing and not efficiency in speech. Initialisms are different to acronyms, which are spoken like words.
The abbreviation AYK is a prepositional phrase (the preposition is as), which is used as an adverb to establish the setting for the main clause.
What Did We Say before Texting and Social Media?Before the digital era, we might have just said something like "As You Know" instead of using the abbreviation AYK.
Example of AYK Used in a Text
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Did you know a slang term that we've missed?