What Does /J Mean?/J means "Joking."
/J (usually typed /j) is a tone indicator, used to indicate that a comment is meant as a joke.
/J can be used interchangeably with abbreviations such as JK ("just kidding") and emoticons such as ;O ("joking").
Image for /J
When I write /J, I mean this:
Summary of Key Points"Joking" is the most common definition for /J on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
|Type:||Internet Slang Term|
Adults and Teenagers
Example of /J Used in a Text
Help Us Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?
See Also/HJ (half-joking) /IJ (I'm Joking, Inside Joke) /LH (lighthearted) /LI (literally) /M (metaphorically) /NEG (negative connotation) /NEU (neutral) /NM (not mad) /NSRS (not serious) /PC (positive connotation) /R (romantic) /RT (rhetorical question) /SRS (serious, seriously) /SX (sexual intent) /T (teasing)
QuizTry our fun quiz to test your knowledge of slang and texting abbreviations.
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.