M (Dating Term)
What Does M Mean?M means "Male" or "Married" when used in the context of online dating. In a gaming context, M means "Mature (For Ages 17+)".
An ESRB rating "M" means a game is suitable for players 17 and up. Games rated "M" can include portrayals of violence (including blood, mutilation, and portrayals of death), strong sexual content, and frequent use of strong language.
The Entertainment Software Rating Board is a US-based, self-regulatory organization that assigns age and content ratings to video games.
The ESRB ratings give information about a game's content to help parents, guardians, and consumers make informed choices about the suitability of games. In addition to its assessment of age suitability, ESRB ratings also incorporate "content descriptors", which provide information about games such as violence levels, gambling, profanity, sexual content, use of alcohol or drugs, and suitability of humor.
Summary of Key Points
Definition for MM means "Male". This is the most common meaning for M on online dating sites, such as Craigslist, Tinder, Zoosk and Match.com, as well as in texts and on chat forums.
Second Definition for MM also means "Married":
Examples of M in SentencesHere are examples of M being used in a conversation:
- Lady Pink: Tell me about yourself.
- Ram Rod: Straight, M, no kids.
- Lady Pink: Sorry, not interested. Got that T shirt. Didn't work out too well. (Here, M means married.)
- Jack: Did you just mutilate that opponent?
- Simon: Sure did. I think this game pushes the boundary of the M rating.
- Jack: 4RL (For Real). (Here, M refers to the ESRB rating for online games.)
An Academic Look at MM is an initialism abbreviation.
What Did We Use To Say?Before the digital era, we would have spelled the word out; i.e., we would have written male, married, or mature instead of just M.
Example of M Used in a Text
Using M on a Cell Phone (Texting, Whatsapp, and Tinder)
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Did you know a slang term that we've missed?