What Does IMHO Mean?The term IMHO (In My Humble Opinion) accompanies a message to make the author seem less forthright and authoritative. IMHO carries a connotation of "I'm not stating this as a fact. It is just my opinion." This term is often used by passive aggressives (i.e., people who can mask their controlling or attacking nature using non-emotive and non-confrontational language).
Summary of Key Points"In My Humble Opinion" is the most common definition for IMHO on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
|Definition:||In My Humble Opinion|
2: Quite easy to guess
Adults and Teenagers
Image for IMHOWhen I write IMHO, I mean this:
The shows President Obama pulling a "I was just sayin'…" face.
Examples of IMHO in SentencesHere are some examples of IMHO being used in sentences:
- IMHO the plan is unlikely to succeed.
- She's not as nice as your old girlfriend IMHO.
An Academic Look at IMHOIMHO is an initialism abbreviation. Technically, this means it is pronounced using its individual letters (i.e., Aye Em Aich Oh), but as this is harder to say than "in my humble opinion," it is not usually uttered using its letters. In other words, the abbreviation IMHO is for efficiency in writing and not efficiency in speech.
The abbreviation IMHO is a prepositional phrase (the preposition is in), which is used as an adverb to establish the setting for the main clause. Compare the examples below:
- In London, four lions guard Nelson's Column. (Here, the prepositional phrase In London is an adverb of place.)
- IMHO, he is a berk. (Here, the prepositional phrase IMHO is an adverb of concession, which is similar in meaning to although this is just my view.)
Example of IMHO Used in a Text
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Did you know a slang term that we've missed?