Meaning of IME
What Does IME Mean?IME means "In My Experience".
The abbreviation IME is used with the meaning "In My Experience" to preface a comment or advice. It indicates that what is being said is based on relevant experience of the issue being discussed.
IME should not be confused with IMO (In My Opinion), which usually indicates that the comment or advice is not based on specific experience.
Of note, the abbreviation IME is also used in the medical field with the meaning "Independent Medical Examination". In this context, an IME is carried out by a doctor, physical therapist or other health professional who has not previously been involved with a patient, usually in order to offer an independent opinion.
Summary of Key Points
Definition for IMEIME means "In My Experience". This is the most common definition for IME on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, and Twitter. Here is some more information about IME:
|Definition:||In My Experience|
Adults and Teenagers
An Image for IMEWhen I write IME, I mean this:
IME, people with red hair should take care in the sun.
Examples of IME in SentencesHere are examples of IME being used in conversations:
- Sue: Do you like his new car?
- Jane: Very nice, but IME men who drive that type of car are trying to compensate for something.
- Janice: I'll get to the bus stop 5 minutes early.
- Jordan: IME you will need to get there a bit earlier. You never know when the bus is going to turn up and the driver won't stop if you don't flag him down.
An Academic Look at IMEAs it is pronounced using its individual letters (i.e., "Eye Em Ee"), IME is classified as an initialism abbreviation. Initialisms are different to acronyms, which are spoken like words.
IME is an abbreviation of the prepositional phrase "In My Experience", (the preposition is "in"), which is used as an adverb to establish the setting for the main clause. Compare the examples below:
- In London, four lions guard Nelson's Column. (Here, the prepositional phrase "In London" is an adverb of place.)
- IME, he can be moody. (Here, the prepositional phrase IME is an adverb of concession, which is similar in meaning to although this is just my view.)
What Did We Used To Say?Before the digital era, we would have just said "In My Experience" instead of using the abbreviation IME.
A Text with IME
Using IME on a Cell Phone (SMS Texts, Whatsapp, and Yubl)