What is a COVIDIOT? Can sounds give you brain tingles? What is a man looking for younger girls called? What is an "Unexplained Drinking Injury (UDI)"? What does QQ mean? P911 means parents are watching! Why does <4 mean "more than love"? What does DIAMOND HANDS mean? Send an encrypted message. Learn all the Snapchat emojis.
What Does IJ Mean?IJ means "I'm Joking."
The abbreviation IJ is used with the meaning "I'm Joking" to indicate that a comment was meant as a joke. It is often used to take the edge off a frank comment that may not have been well received. For example:
- Mike: I think your hair looked better before you went to the salon.
- Sue: What?!
- Mike: IJ. It looks great.
Summary of Key Points"I'm Joking" is the most common definition for IJ on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
4: Difficult to guess
Adults and Teenagers
Image for IJWhen I write IJ, I mean this:
IJ is typically used when the joke isn't obvious.
Examples of IJ in SentencesHere are examples of IJ being used in conversations:
- Jim: She said she wouldn't go out with you if you were the last man alive.
- Simon: Why would she say that?.
- Jim: IJ. She's mad about you.
- Linda: Why does the boss want to see me?
- Helen: IJ. He doesn't really.
An Academic Look at IJIJ is an initialism abbreviation that means "I´m Joking." Technically, this means it is pronounced using its individual letters (i.e., Eye Jay). However, it is not often uttered using its letters. In other words, the abbreviation IJ is for efficiency in writing and not efficiency in speech
What Did We Say before Texting and Social Media?Before the digital era, we might have said something like "Just Teasing," "I Jest," or even just "I'm Joking" instead of using the abbreviation IJ.
Example of IJ Used in a Text
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Did you know a slang term that we've missed?