What Does H/U Mean?H/U means "Hook Up". The abbreviation H/U stands for "Hook Up", which means to meet up or get together. H/U is commonly used to refer to a casual, no-strings attached sexual encounter. However, it can also mean to meet up in a non-sexual way. The context of the conversation will normally indicate the intended meaning. For example:
- Martin: I H/U with the new girl last night. I can't even remember her name!
- Tim: You're one lucky dude. She's so sexy. (Here, H/U refers to a sexual encounter.)
- Nick: I H/U with Paul yesterday.
- Cheryl: Cool. How is he?
- Nick: Great. (Here, H/U refers to a non-sexual encounter.)
Summary of Key Points"Hook Up" is the most common definition for H/U on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
4: Difficult to guess
Adults and Teenagers
Image for H/UWhen I write H/U, I mean this:
H/U often refers to a casual sexual encounter.
Examples of H/U in SentencesHere are examples of H/U being used in conversations:
- Sophia: Do you want to H/U?
- Geoff: I thought you'd never ask.
- Amelia: I'm bored, do you want to do something?
- Ethan: We could H/U?
- Amelia: I was thinking we could just go for a coffee.
An Academic Look at H/UH/U is an initialism abbreviation. Technically, this means it is pronounced using its individual letters (i.e., "Aitch Yoo"). Initialisms are different to acronyms, which are spoken like words.
What Did We Used To Say?Before the digital era, we might have said something like "One-night stand" or "Fling" instead of using H/U.
Example of H/U Used in a Text