Meaning of CATFISH
What Does CATFISH Mean?A CATFISH is a false online persona to lure someone into an online relationship. The term CATFISH can also be used as a verb meaning "to lure someone into a relationship by adopting a false persona online".
Of note, the scope of the term CATFISH is steadily expanding. The term is increasingly used to denote any false online persona (i.e., not expressly for the purpose of luring someone into a relationship). For example, someone trolling an internet chat forum using a false persona might also be called a CATFISH. (A person using a false identity is also called a SOCKPUPPET.)
Summary of Key Points
Definition for CATFISHCATFISH means "Individual Who Creates a False Online Identity". This is the most common definition for CATFISH on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, and Twitter. Here is some more information about CATFISH:
|Definition:||Fake Online Persona|
4: Difficult to guess
Adults and Teenagers
An Image for CATFISHWhen I write CATFISH, I mean this:
A CATFISH is a fake online persona.
Examples of CATFISH in SentencesHere are examples of CATFISH being used in conversations:
- Person A: Did you meet that cheerleader at the cinema?
- Person B: She didn't show. I think she might be a CATFISH.
- Person A: I was seriously CATFISHED by a man last night.
- Person B: How do you know?
- Person A: When I asked for a photo, he sent me a picture of Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz, and when we spoke, it was clearly someone putting on a woman's voice.
An Academic Look at CATFISHThe word CATFISH can be used as a noun or a transitive verb. For example:
- She is a CATFISH. (Here, CATFISH is a noun.)
- She CATFISHED John. (Here, CATFISH is a verb. Note that it is transitive; i.e., it can take a direct object (here, John).)
What Did We Used To Say?Before the digital era, we might have said something like "fake persona" instead of CATFISH.
A Text with CATFISH
Using CATFISH on a Cell Phone (SMS Texts, Whatsapp, and Yubl)